Oct 7, 2010

Short Story of The Week #12: Scarecrow

Story Title: Scarecrow
From: Half-Human
Author: Gregory Maguire

Summary

A scarecrow awakes in a cornfield, and relies on the tales a crow, a fox, and little girl to discover his origins.

Favorite Line

"Charity is so appealing in the young."

My Thoughts

This little story caught my eye this week. I think it's because of that the fall decor in the stores these days. You know, the pumpkins and the cute little scarecrows. That combined with the fact that I used the song "If I Only Had a Brain" for ballet class yesterday. Anyhow, this is a story by Gregory Maguire, who is most well known for his novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of The West. Scarecrow is sort of a companion piece to that novel, though you don't have to read Wicked, even know much about The Wizard of OZ to enjoy it.

The story is focused around the Scarecrow's first days of life before he meets Dorthy. At the end of the story he meets her and she is able to explain quite a few things about life to him. I felt like this story was an allegory for the feelings in youth and adolescence. Most notably the need to discover who you are. Overall, It was a pleasant read, with a lovely writing style.

See you later sweeties. Hopefully later tonight when I recognize Sarah for giving me an award. Keep it shiny loves!

No comments: