Jan 4, 2011

About Books Blog 30: Scourge: A Grim Doyle Novel





Photobucket


Author: David H. Burton
Genre: Adventure/Fantasy/Science Fiction/Young Adult/Steampunk

Favorite Line

“The cause determines the cure.”

Summary (from davidhburton.com)

Grim Doyle has always known his life was not exactly “normal”, and things get even more curious when he discovers a set of stones that sweep him and his family to the fantasy, steam punk world of Verne – a place they had escaped from years ago. Now that they’ve returned, Grim and his siblings hide from the evil Lord Victor and his minions. And while learning about Jinns, Mystics, and the power of absinth they try to discover who is trying to kill them with the deadly Scourge.

What I Thought of This Book

First I would like to thank author David H. Burton for giving me this book to review. Now on with the show.

Scourge is an extremely imaginative work of fiction. Not only does the world of Verne have a numerous creative inventions, it also houses almost every fantasy creature you can think of. It’s not often you see changelings, sylphs, and jinns in the same book. I found the creativity fun to read.

I think I may have liked the main character Grim Doyle more than the story itself. I found him relatable and adorable. I often found myself giggling, because he would say things that I would say. The other characters quite delightful as well.

Scourge was presented to me as a book for children. However, though the writing style fit this age group, I felt there were themes and ideas in it that perhaps would be better understood by an older group. Even then I would recommend that parents read it first and judge for themselves. I personally would feel more comfortable with people of the young adult age range reading it, but that’s just me.

This book is what I assume will be the first of a series. Thus, it is written as such. Don’t expect the big battles to be fought it this book; just enjoy this first journey of many.

Facts I Found Interesting

Since this book was just released it November 2010 there’s not much in the way of facts yet. I suggest clicking the link to David’s blog above and gleaning facts that way.

The Movie

This would probably make a good movie with lots of cool visual effects. It has Syfy channel written all over it if nothing else.

Music To Read By

Favorite Albums

I listened to almost no music at all while reading this. I don’t know if it was because of time, or the fact that I didn’t know of anything that would fit. The playlist is actually comprised of music I listened to while working on this review. I discovered an artist called The Cinematic Orchestra, and found that their music works very well with the book. If only I had discovered them sooner. All the songs are by the same artist so I'm just going to list the titles.

Scourge Playlist

The Magician
Child Song
As The Stars Fall
Yoyo Waltz
Continuum
Everyday
Postlude
Transformation








That's all darlings. I hope you enjoyed reading. See you soon. Keep it shiny!

No comments: