Mar 7, 2011

Short Story of The Week (29) - A Telephone Call

Story Title: A Telephone Call
From: 100 Greatest Short Stories
Author: Dorthy Parker

Summary

Woman anxiously awaits a mans phone call.

Favorite Line

"He's so sure of me. I wonder why they hate you, as soon as they are sure of you. I should think it would be so sweet to be sure."

My Thoughts

To tell you truth I didn't know what to think of this one. It's kind of a weird little piece. It's hard to describe. I couldn't decide if the nameless woman in the story was a total nut case or not. I mean the whole thing was a repetitive inner dialogue about this girl obsessing about guy's phone call. When I say obsessed I mean OBSESSED. On one hand I found some her thoughts interesting. On the other I couldn't figure out whether her loopy anxiety about something so that seems so trivial freaked me out or not. It definitely was not the most relaxing story. However, I found the ending rather brilliant. I think that if you edited it a bit it would make a rather cool acting monologue.

No comments: