Jul 10, 2011

About Books Blog 44: Mockingjay

Photobucket

Author: Suzanne Collins
Genre: Young Adult/Dystopia/Science Fiction

Related Reviews In The Hunger Games Series


Favorite Line

"You love me. Real or not real?"

Summary (from Goodreads)

Young Katniss Everdeen has survived the dreaded Hunger Games not once, but twice, but even now she can find no relief. In fact, the dangers seem to be escalating: President Snow has declared an all-out war on Katniss, her family, her friends, and all the oppressed people of District 12. The thrill-packed final installment of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy will keep young hearts pounding.

My Thoughts

This is an abbreviated version of my normal review set up. I’ve already discussed the interesting facts about the series and the movie in the reviews for the first two books. It seemed pointless to reiterate things I have already said.

I loved the first two books in the series, but Mockingjay really knocked my socks off. This book had the exciting war type action going for it. One of the many things I loved about all the books is that I believe that both girls and guys could enjoy it. It has a great balance of action and emotional pull.

Speaking of emotions Mockingjay was a serious emotional roller coaster. In this novel you get more a since of what the bonds are between the old and new characters. Not just the family and friends bond, but something akin to the bond of warriors in battle. In addition I couldn't wait to see how the love triangle turned out. What like about these books is that the author implemented a love triangle without it becoming the usual tale of jealously, crazy love drama, etc. You know I’m a big fan of a good love triangle, but it was just refreshing to see it done in different way. In the Hunger Games books survival always wins out over trivial things like jealousy, since it is usually a choice between working together or dying.

There were so many unexpected surprises in this novel. I know I’ve said something similar to this for every book in this series, but it’s true every time. I couldn't possibly guess what was going to happen next. This was fun because I'm usually pretty good at figuring out where a story is going early on. I think some of the events and scenes in Mockingjay literally took my breath away. It was definitely the type of book where you find yourself bursting to talk about every insane event. It was a good thing that I got a friend and my mom into reading the series so we could talk about it. I might have gone crazy trying to keep it all to myself.

Overall, I totally loved this series. I have found a new obsession. To prove that statement I actually bought this series on e-book twice. Once for the Kindle application on my phone, and once for my Nook Color. That way I can always carry a copy with me. Obsessed I tell you. If you haven’t read these books already you should.

Music To Read By

I didn’t have any favorite albums in particular for this one, but I did listen to a lot of music. I was reading this during my phase of obsessively watching Later...With Jools Holland on the Ovation channel. This show features a variety of awesome musicians playing live. I would read Mockingjay when this show was running. The next day I would read while listening to the albums of new artists I had discovered. A couple of songs I heard on the show ended up on this playlist or the playlist for Catching Fire. I did listen to one album not related to Later...With Jools Holland, the Sucker Punch Soundtrack. A very good album for young girls going into a fight when you think about it.

I must give credit to my friend and fellow Hunger Games fan, Natalie, who helped me add a couple songs to the Mockingjay playlist. I thank her in particular for finding the song Melon by Home Video, which is not only an awesome song but also an awesome Mockingjay song. As promised I included the player with the full playlist for the entire Hunger Games Trilogy. Wow! There are fifty songs on it. Lots of great reading music for when I re-read the books. 

Mockingjay Playlist

Uprising - Muse
Superstar - Tegan and Sara
Redemption Day - Sheryl Crow
Numb - Linkin' Park
Fragile - Kerli
We Are One - 12 Stones
Know Your Enemy - Green Day
Stand Up (Acoustic Version) - Fireflight
Zombie (Acoustic Version) - The Cranberries
I Never Told You - Colbie Caillat
Speaking A Dead Language - Joy Williams
Sink or Swim - Tyrone Wells
Violet Hill - Coldplay
Army of Me (Sucker Punch Remix) - Bjork
Melon - Home Video
You Know My Name - Chris Cornell
Assassin - Muse
21 Guns - Green Day ft. American Idiot Cast
The Banjo Song - Seasick Steve
Marching On - One Republic



The Hunger Games Trilogy Playlist





Yay! My first whole series reviewed. Very exciting! Hope you had fun reading the review. See you all later. Keep it shiny!

1 comment:

LoriStrongin said...

YES. I *loved* this series! I couldn't put down Mockingjay, the pacing was so intense. Gott say, I'm a bit worried for the film and how they're going to portray Katniss, but I guess we'll see!


Smiles!
Lori