Aug 15, 2011

Short Story of The Week (44) - The Brahmins

Story Title: The Brahmins
From: White Swan, Black Swan
Author: Adrienne Sharp

Summary

Katie's feelings of failure lead her to quit her job dancing in the corps of the American Ballet Theater. She moves to L.A. to film a documentary about ballet dancers, but soon discovers her dancing dreams may not be a dead as she believed they were.

Favorite Line

"To study the art, to enter the temple, was already to be a Brahmin, and the art -- I came to understand -- needed us all, corps members, soloists, and stars."

My Thoughts

I finally found my copy of White Swan, Black Swan. I thought I had lost it, but it was right in front of my face the whole time. I'm glad I found it, because I was really in the mood for a good ballet dancer story. The Brahmins is perhaps my favorite story in the whole book. I don't know why it sticks out to me more the the others, because they are all beautiful stories. I guess something in the story is easy for me to connect to. I also love the journey Katie goes through, and her revelations at the end of the story. It has a lot of engaging scenes as well. I LOVE this story! I definately could read it over and over.

No comments: