Sep 12, 2011

About Books Blog 49: Glass

Photobucket


Author: Ellen Hopkins 
Genre: Young Adult 

 Related Reviews In The Crank Trilogy 


Favorite Line 

“How do you tell your heart, no, don’t swell with magic, you’ll only burst? How do you tell it to clamp itself off from possibilities?” 

Summary (from Goodreads)

Crank. Glass. Ice. Crystal. Whatever you call it, it's all the same: a monster. And once it's got hold of you, this monster will never let you go. Kristina thinks she can control it. Now with a baby to care for, she's determined to be the one deciding when and how much, the one calling the shots. But the monster is too strong, and before she knows it, Kristina is back in its grips. She needs the monster to keep going, to face the pressures of day-to-day life. She needs it to feel alive. Once again the monster takes over Kristina's life and she will do anything for it, including giving up the one person who gives her the unconditional love she craves -- her baby.

My Thoughts 

 Glass is the sequel to Ellen Hopkins’ book Crank. The subject matter in Glass more adult than in Crank, so I would suggest it for the older teens. I had some major mixed feelings about this book. I still loved to Ellen Hopkins writing style. I still loved that she wrote the book in verse. However, this book made so flipping angery. It was clear within the first few pages but the main character Kristina had learned absolutely nothing from her experiences in the first the book. By nothing I mean absolutely zero learning here. I guess I should have expected this would happen. The protagonist in this novel is after all a drug addict. This book proves that addicts are very good at lying to themselves. It also proves that drugs can make you make some really wacky choices. Other than taking the drugs which is a loopy choice in itself. The more I read Glass the more Kristina’s decisions started to make me want to lose my mind. I wanted to reach into the Kindle app on my phone and shake some sense into that girl. In the end it was an excellent book, but it was not a relaxing read. Hence, the mixed feelings. I’m still going to read the third book, but it might take me a while to get around to it. 

Music to Read By 

My favorite album to listen to while reading Glass was When the Pawn… by Fiona Apple. Something about Fiona’s attitude in her songs just made me think of Kristina. I also liked listening to the Whip It soundtrack. A cool element about Glass is that in the book we get to learn more about Kristina’s musical taste. She is quite fond of classic rock, metal, and surprisingly some Beethoven. As usual I tried to include some of the songs and artists mentioned in the book on my playlist below. A short warning for the playlist the Fiona Apple songs have curse words in them. I usually try to avoid picking songs that do, but they really fit the book. However, if you have a problem with profanity you might defiantly want to skip reading Glass anyway. In addition couldn’t find the version of Imogen Heap’s “Bad Body Double” with the lyrics on Grooveshark. I could only find the instrumental. I posted a link to Youtube if you want to listen to one with singing. I think the lyrics fit with the idea of Kristina’s alter ego Bree. Wow! I really like this playlist. Weirdly the books I’m most conflicted about get the best playlists. 

Glass Playlist 

Monster - Vitamin String Quartet
Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk - Rufus Wainwright
Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard
Mistake - Fiona Apple
I Can’t Quit You Baby - Led Zeppelin
Jaded - Aerosmith
Boys Wanna Be Her - Peaches
On The Bound - Fiona Apple
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Tori Amos
Under the Sheets - Ellie Goulding
Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
Fur Elise (Techno Remix) - Beethoven (I don’t know who remixed it.)
Harvester of Sorrow - Metallica
Dream On - Aerosmith






That's it darlings. I actually managed to keep the review short and not succumb to comma epilepsy for once. Which is hilarious because I dictated almost the entire thing into a microphone. You would think that I would babble incessantly, but it's the opposite. Ha ha! See you later friends and followers. Keep it shiny!

No comments: