Oct 5, 2011

Short Story of The Week (49) - Hell on Earth

Story Title: Hell on Earth
From: Prom Nights From Hell
Author: Stephenie Meyer

Summary

Low level demoness seeks to single-handedly destroy high school prom. However, an angelic spirited boy may throw a wrench in her plans.

Favorite Line

"Was there no way to avoid the horrible wonder of love? That wasn't very likely when you were in an angel's arms."

My Thoughts

The time had come for me to get a new short story book. I was in need of something fresh to sink my imagination into. The title and theme of this short story collection intrigued me, so I thought it would take a look at it. Of course, I had to read Stephenie Meyer's contribution to this collection of tales about supernatural hellish proms first. I thought Hell on Earth was very creative with it's wacky spin on biblical mythology. The story transitions to different view points of major and minor characters throughout. I like it when authors do this especially in short stories. I think it not only makes the story interesting, but it builds the story quickly. I also think using this technique helped demonstrate the havoc that was being caused during the prom.  I really enjoyed the dialogue as well. The story is on the long side but totally worth taking the time to read. Overall, I thought Hell on Earth was pretty darn awesome. Aside from the fact that Stephanie Meyer still could not steer away from using her favorite word "chagrin" at least a couple times. Is it just me, or did she or did she not use that word billions of times in the Twilight series? Seriously, she is addicted to the word chagrin. 

See you all later when I do my reading update. By the way, I do have several ideas for actual book reviews. I'm thinking I'm going to review The Catcher in the Rye next. I just have to be able to sit still or put a book down long enough to actually write a review. Ha ha! Keep it shiny darlings. 


No comments: