Aug 10, 2010

Short Story of The Week # 4: Nicholas Was...


Story Title: Nicholas Was...
From: Smoke and Mirrors
Author: Neil Gaiman

Summary

Nicholas is a old man forced by dwarfs to deliver presents to children.

Favorite Line

"He envied Prometheus and Loki, Sisyphus and Judas. His punishment was harsher."

My Thoughts

This is perhaps the shortest short story I have ever read. It is literally four paragraphs. It's a surprisingly interesting four paragraphs. It took me a second after reading it to realize that the story is actually a dark tale about St. Nicholas a.k.a Santa Claus. It's definitely not very jolly, but it made me think and it's very amusing in an ironic way. In addition, it's a quick read. 

1 comment:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I keep telling myself that I must read more Neil Gaiman. His book Anansai Boys is amazing and hilarious---I understand it was just picked up for a TV series (or was it a movie?) Anyway thanks for the reminder to read more from him.

By the way I have just award you the versatile blogger award. Take a look here and enjoy!
http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com/2010/08/versatile-blogger-me.html