Aug 17, 2010

Short Story of The Week # 5: Wili

Story Title: Wili
From: White Swan, Black Swan
Author: Adrienne Sharp

Summary

Ballet dancer struggles with her self confidence, and has trouble coping with life, and relationships.

Favorite Line

"He's killing me. He thinks he's the dance captain of my life."

My Thoughts

Adrienne Sharp's book White Swan, Black Swan is a collection of short stories about the lives of dancers. This one, like the other stories in the book is interesting to my little dancer brain. Part of the fun is that Adrienne actually incorporates famous actual dancers in with her fictional ones. I know who she's talking about so it amuses me.

I enjoyed the main character Kathryn in this story. I think every dancer struggles with confidence. She particularly doesn't seem to handle it well. I intrigued me to see her ballet view point on other dance styles was. The only bad thing about this story is that it ended. I wanted it to go on. It ended with nothing exactly getting resolved. I liked Kathryn and wanted to see things get better for her.

Oh, if you know nothing about ballet, you probably don't get why the story would be called Wili. A Wilis are sort of a vengeful spirits in the ballet Giselle. Kathryn plays one, hence the story title.

Well, see you later dears. Off to teacher ballet class. Keep it shiny!



No comments: