Sep 15, 2010

Short Story of The Week # 9: Instructions

Story Title: Instructions
From: Fragile Things
Author: Neil Gaiman

Summary

A poem relating instructions on what to do if you find yourself in a fairytale.

Favorite Line

"Trust dreams. Trust your heart, and trust your story."

My Thoughts

I decided to do something different this week a pick a poem. I know it's techincally not a short story, but it's in a short story book so I think it counts. I think this poem is rather adorable. It's light and humorous. It does offer very good advice on living in a fairytale. However, I think the underlining idea of the poem is that it is very good advice for going on life journeys in general. Even though I like this poem, I have always found that I like Neil's poems best when he reads them himself. Thus, I have included a video of him reading "Instructions" below. I always find his stories about how people comment on his poetry funny.

No comments: