Dec 20, 2010

Short Story of the Week # 19: The Gift of the Magi

Story Title: The Gift of the Magi
Author: O. Henry

Summary

Young married couple struggles to buy each other secret Christmas gifts with very little money.

Favorite Line

"There was clearly nothing to do but flop on the shabby couch and howl. So Della did it. Which investigates the moral reflection that life is made up of sobs, sniffles, and smiles, with sniffles predominating."

My Thoughts

Hello again all. I'm back. Yay! I can't believe that Saturday is Christmas day. Do you remember how when you when you're a kid Christmas can't come fast enough. However, when you're an adult it seem to come before you know it. Anyway, since Christmas is coming up I thought I would download one of the most common holiday short stories to my Kindle App. on my phone.

The interesting thing about The Gift of the Magi is that it's one of those stories that most people know the end of whether they've read it or not. I'm pretty sure I read it back in middle school, but I didn't read it again until today. I think it's a story that one really appreciates as adult. You start to understand the bitter sweet elements of it. How two people can sacrifice their most prized possessions to make to other happy. The author has a really interesting writing style. He often stops the story to make comments that make you think. He manges to do this in a way that you don't find annoying which is really quite amazing. I think everyone should read this story is you haven't. If you have I can speak for experiance that it is a fun story to revisit.

No comments: