Jan 3, 2011

Short Story of The Week #21: The Flints of Memory Lane

Story Title: The Flints Of Memory Lane
From: Fragile Things
Author: Neil Gaiman

Summary

Man recounts a time when he came face to face with the unexplained.

Favorite Line

"I like things to be story-shaped. Reality, however, is not story-shaped, and the eruptions of the odd into our likes are not story-shaped either."

My Thoughts

I haven't read anything by Neil in a long time, and I missed him a little. Thus, I decided to pick something at random from Fragile Things. It was the first line (which also turned out to be my favorite line) that caught my eye. I felt the the writing was the excellent part of the story. I loved the actual words that were chosen to tell the story even though nothing much really happens in it. Neil states in the foreword of Fragile Things, that though the ending of this ghost story may not be particularly stratifying in terms of closure, it has the benefit of being completely true. I wouldn't fault it for not having very much to it. The Flints of Memory Lane is certainly worth reading.

No comments: