Aug 14, 2011

My Epic Reading Adventure: Audio Book Drama

Chapter 14: Audio Book Drama

This journal entry actually ended up being more of a end of the week wrap up. The reason for this is that I read unusually slow this week, and I couldn't bring myself to write about my reading progress until I had actually made progress. I finally finished my normal two books for this week on Saturday, so now I'm back to writing to my heart's content.

I really enjoyed my Saturday afternoon completing the second Roswell High book and the Manga version of Vampire Hunter D. However, in the early hours of Saturday morning I was all up in arms about my audio book. I've been trying to listen to Great Expectations on audio book for the longest time. The key word here is trying. I don't know what my problem is but I just can not get past chapter nine. Then I didn't get around to listening to it for a long time. I realized I had lost track of the story and I was going to have to start the whole thing from the beginning. Grrr! It was starting to make me mad. I don't know why I was surprised. Charles Dickens and I have never been friends. While I enjoy adaptations of his work and think he has good stories in general, I have never actually been able to complete one of his books, no matter how much I want to. I really really want to. I seriously thought I could do it by going with the audio book route. On Friday night/Saturday morning I was to tired to read, but not tired enough to sleep. I really wanted to listen to my audio book. I realized that it was Great Expectations and I just wasn't in the mood for that. I finally just had to admit that it was time to let go and listen to something else. I'm kind of disappointed in myself for not going though with it. I'm not quite ready to give up on Charles Dickens forever. I'm definitely going to come back to it later.

Since I wasn't listening to Great Expectations I had an opening in the audio book department. I started scanning my LibiriVox phone application for something new to read. LibiriVox supplies free recordings of books in the public domain. Which is great because I find that I like to listen to classic novels the best, and of course you can't beat free. I finally zeroed in on Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I've found it very enjoyable so far and more importantly I want to listen to it.

Speaking of audio books. My plan to listen to some of North and South on audio book is working quite well. I prefer reading it with my eyes, but on those rare occasions of tiredness that I mentioned before the audio book is quite handy. Plus, It's fun to hear it read in the English accent once in awhile. I'm so happy that all my audio book plans are now working out. Shiny!

Progress Report

Number of Books Finished This Week: 2
Number of Books Completed This Year: 32
Number of Books Left to Complete: 68
New Primary Read Chosen: The Usual Rules
Miscellaneous Comments: I have the week off work this week. My goal is to post my A Wrinkle in Time review Monday or Tuesday, and write a bunch of drafts of book reviews in the future. Since I will hopefully have more reading time I'm picking a slightly longer re-read book this week. I've been wanting to re-read The Usual Rules for a long time. 

3 comments:

LoriStrongin said...

You know, I've never actually tried an audiobook, which is probably a shame because I drive 45 minutes each way to work every day. For me, I guess it's because reading is such a visceral experience, and part of that is the sight/feel/smell of holding a book in my hands. Though, I do enjoy my ereader when I travel just for the convenience of it!


Smiles!
Lori

Sara said...

Another Roswell Fan! I rewatched the series on netflix a while back and I've got a bunch of the books on my shelf somewhere.

Nina said...

Wow, you are so brave. I never tried reading any Dicks books. They are so thick! Really! I do love the movies they made out of the books. Ha! ;)

How are those Roswell books? I'm wondering if they are any good. ;)