Sep 28, 2011

Short Story of The Week (48) - Bones

Story Title: Bones
From: The Rose and The Beast
Author: Francesca Lia Block

Summary

Run away party girl has a run in with a not so nice semi-psychotic guy at a party.

Favorite Line

"I tried to speak but the enchantment had seeped into my mouth like choking electric blue frosting from a cake."

My Thoughts

I kind of just grabbed the first short story book I saw on my way out the door this week. It worked out though because I was kind of in the mood for a fairy tale or a fairy tale re-told this week. Bones is actually based on the folktale Bluebeard. Admittedly it was a tale I didn't know much about until reading this short story. Thank goodness for Wikipedia. I looked it up right away. It's quite the little horror story. Which meant there was a horror twist to Bones when Francesca Block modernized the original tale. The good part of both tales is that they both surprisingly end well. Everybody likes it when the main character wins. I loved that Bones was written with such sensory language. It added to the connection with the narrator. I think it was possibly my favorite story out of this book that I've read so far. I keep forgetting to check some more of Francesca's books out. Hmm...maybe I'll write myself a note to look for some tonight.

1 comment:

LoriStrongin said...

Ooh, sounds like a good read! I'm a big lover of retold fairy tales (thank you, Ellen Datlow), so I may just be checking this one out. Thanks for the rec!


Smiles!
Lori