Dec 21, 2011

Short Story of The Week (54) - The Fir Tree

Story Title: The Fir Tree
Author: Hans Christian Anderson

Summary

A young fir tree wishes to grow up quickly and understand the meaning of his life.

Favorite Line

"Had I but rejoiced when I had reason to do so! But now 'tis past, 'tis past!"

My Thoughts

It's almost Christmas. Hence I wanted to read a holiday type short story. I didn't know of many though. Except for The Gift of The Magi which I reviewed last year. Thankfully there is such a thing as the computer search engine. Haha! I found this little fairy tale on a website and you can read it for free. You can't beat free and you also can't beat cute. This story was most certainly cute and a little bitter sweet as well. I find that the few Hans Christian Anderson stories I've read are often like that. Partly because that are often very allegorical. I think the message of The Fir Tree is that we rarely realize how happy we are until we get older or the moment is long past. Sometimes we forget to take time to enjoy our youth or our happiness while it is happening. Sometimes it's best not to want to grow up to fast. It's a really wonderful message. I also simply enjoyed the fact that Hans humanized trees, sun beams, various animals. Very adorable. If you think you might like this story check it out. Here is the link: The Fir Tree.

On a side note. Thanks to everyone for putting up with my drop off the face of the earth last week. I was working on the holiday dance show and of course insanity ensued. In a surprisingly good way of course. Then I got sick and all I could do was read and watch TV on Monday and Tuesday. I'm better now and hope to have at least one holiday book review up by Christmas Eve. Going to start working on that today after I read a few more pages of my book. Keep it shiny my loves!

1 comment:

LoriStrongin said...

I don't think I've read a Hans Christian Anderson story that ISN'T angsty and bittersweet at the end. But part of that, I think, is why we love his stories so much because they're real. Sometimes, there is no happy ending, and his stories reflect that while still maintaining threads of hope for a better future.

Hope you have a happy holiday season!!!


Smiles!
Lori