Oct 27, 2010

Short Story of The Week #14: Children of The Corn

Story Title: Children of The Corn
From: Night Shift
Author: Stephen King

Summary

An unexpected car accident lands argumentative couple in a deserted town. Well...Almost deserted.

Favorite Line

"He had a strong sensation of being watched. It was a feeling he had read about in books, mostly cheap fiction, and he had always doubted its reality. Now he didn't."

My Thoughts

This was another of my pre-Halloween story choice. I figured why not read something by the master of horror, Stephen King. I saw the 1984 film of Children of The Corn several years ago. However, before reading the story this week I had totally forgotten everything that happened in the movie. All I really remembered was that the children were creepy. It was actually good that I couldn't remember the film. It made reading the story more exciting because I didn't know where it was going.

When I first started reading it was entertaining but it seemed like the main characters were just driving around a lot. By mid story my heart was in my throat. It was crazy, because I usually don't get a physical reaction to creepy stories. The tension just kept building an building. King did a great job of making you feel like something was very very wrong in the town, but you couldn't quite put your finger on what it was until everything was revealed at the end. I just felt like something was going to jump out suddenly and scare the main characters silly, and subsequently scare me silly. Good grief, those children and their culture and beliefs gave me the wiggins. In a nutshell Children of The Corn was basically awesome. I like to calling lovably disturbing.

By the way, I looked up the summary of the film. It has a semi-happy ending, unlike the story. Like I always say, Stephen King for the most part is a writer one seems to believer that evil never dies. The are a ridiculous amount of sequels to the original film as a well as a 2009 TV remake. I will probably re-watch the original movie sometime. I don't know if I'll watch the remake. The trailer just didn't make it seem all that impressive. Of course, maybe that's because I'm not much of a remake person.


1 comment:

Marce said...

I remember Children of the Corn, one of my all time favourites as a teenager, lol.

I have never thought about trying short stories, but your reviews intrigue me.