Nov 17, 2010

About Books Blog 28: The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening




Photobucket



Author: L.J. Smith
Genre: Young Adult/Paranormal Romance

Favorite Line

“Everything inside her was contradictory. She didn’t want company, and yet she was achingly lonely. She did want to think, but now that she was trying to, her thoughts eluded her like mice running from a white owl.”


Elena is cool, blond and slender - the girl every boy wants and every girl wants to be. Always in control, no boy has ever stirred her innermost feelings - until she meets Stefan. Drawn to him with a frightening intensity, overwhelmed by desire, Elena knows that she must make Stefan hers.

However, Stefan is hiding a terrible secret. Centuries earlier, his love for another left him with a terrible legacy, the curse of living forever as a vampire. Aching to respond to Elena, he struggles to resist. For if, he and Elena should come together, he fears that his passion would demand the ultimate gift of love…

What I Thought of This Book

I guess I was one of those wacky people that didn’t know about this book until the television show was about to begin last year. Sadly, I didn’t have time to read the books before the show began. I decided since season two has started I’d try the books now.

The Vampire Diaries has that quality that keeps you reading. I couldn’t put it down. I loved the writers writing style. I simply enjoyed the way she expressed her ideas. The novel also had an element of intrigue and mystery inter-weaved in the in the plot that I didn’t expect. In addition, this book contains possibly one of the cutest first kiss scenes I've read in a long time. I was pleased with the historical flashback scenes, explaining the tragic love triangle between the two brothers and the vampire Kathryn. Flashbacks are just awesome in my book, and I’m starting to think I’m a total sucker for love triangles.

I had a few qualms with the lead character Elena Gilbert. My first impression of her was that she was bossy and expected all the boys to fall at her feet. I really didn’t like the way she played silly games, and engaged in a competition with her frenemie Caroline for Stefan’s heart. It was as if he was a prize to be had instead of a person... I mean vampire...Whatever. I also had issues with Elena’s best bud Bonnie, who literally thought EVERYTHING is romantic. I was thinking, “Good grief, I hope these girls grow out of this.” I don’t know if they exactly grew out of it, but I they did start to grow on me. I started to understand them better. The things that I once found annoying became endearing, and a little funny. Elena’s strong personality seemed to show potential in being channeled toward good leadership skills. Her love for Stefan started to improve her for the better.

I must say I found Stefan flipping adorable. I have a soft spot for a vampire with a tortured soul. I know it’s not the most original idea, but I felt Ms. Smith gave him his own flare with it. Damon rather amusing me. He’s quite obviously dangerous and not overly concerned about murdering and maiming, yet I still found him darkly delightful. I guess in general liked the male lead characters better than the girls. Perhaps this is because when you’re over 500 years old, you are less likely to act immature.

I’m completely ready to read the rest of the series. It is a fun pleasure read. Moreover, I kind of have to read the rest of the series since the darn book ended with a cliffhanger. A fact which I find rather cool and yet a little cruel.

Interesting Facts

This book actually has a video game. I don't know why but I find that rather funny.

The Television Show

Two words: LOVE IT! I was pretty much sold on the show before I even saw the first episode. Let’s just face it I love a vampire show. Angel, Forever Knight, Moonlight, Dark Shadows, Blood Ties, you name it I’ve watched it (except True Blood because I don’t have HBO). In addition, Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder are in it. I’m a fan of both Degrassi and Lost so I had to give the show a go.

The writing and production for the show is quite brilliant. The show has a very cinematic look. In fact it is kind of like watching a short film every week. The acting is wonderful as well. The performers do very well at making you tap in to the emotions of the scenes. I only feel sorry for who ever watches it with me. I tend to get very into it and offer witty commentary between the actors lines. Ha ha.

Of course, there are considerable amounts of changes from book to show. Most notably the fact the Stefan and Damon’s back-story was updated from late 15th century Italy to 19th century American Civil War times. In the show, Elena was given a teenage younger brother, as opposed to her three-year-old sister in the novel. The vampire mythology from was tweaked a bit. Which was probably a good idea, because lets just face it if you saw the live action actors turn into animals it would be difficult to take seriously. I just wonder was it that big of a deal to people that actress cast as Elena wasn’t blond. I heard it was, but I say who cares. At least Nina can act unlike someone in the vampire movie that shall remain nameless. Wink, wink.


Music To Read By

This one was a musical shindig. My favorite albums were How to Save a Life by The Fray, I Megaphone by Imogen Heap, Lungs by Florence and The Machine, and I Am...Sasha Fierce by Beyonce. Yes, I know that last one sounds ridiculous, but it works I promise it works in a weird way. I also, enjoyed listing to Laws of Illusion by Sarah Mclachlan, and a little bit of Chris Cornell and Seal.

I can’t say I’m completely pleased with my playlist. I like it but it feels like it’s missing something. Oh well, maybe when I finish the series it will come to me. I’ll just fix it later. At least it is all music that I would have listened to while reading.

TVD: The Awakening Playlist

Drumming Song - Florence and The Machine
You Look So Fine - Garbage
Look After You - The Fray
In My Place - Coldplay
Smash Into You - Beyonce
Come Here Boy - Imogen Heap
Undisclosed Desires - Muse
Sweet Dream - Beyonce
Love Come - Sarah Mclachlan
Kiss From A Rose - Seal
Bloodstream - Stateless
Mission - Chris Cornell
Blood Brothers - Iron Maiden
Closer - Kings Of Leon
(Note: I heard actress Nina Dobrev say that Kings of Leon is one of her favorite bands. Ironically, vampire stories often make me think of this song for some reason.)





Well that is it my loves. I hope you'll forgive me if there are any mistakes in this review. I kind of made a deal with myself that I would have this review out by today no matter what. I taught 6 classes tonight. I'm choreographing a dance that I'm going to be in as well. We do a lot of lifts in it, so I am beat. I don't do my best proofreading when I'm tired. At least I ran it through spell check. I hope that this was at least readable. Man, I sure write a lot for a tired person. See you later. Keep it shiny!

No comments: