Jan 31, 2011

Short Story of The Week #25: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi

Story Title: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
From: 100 Greatest Short Stories
Author: Rudyard Kipling

Summary

Valiant Mongoose goes to battle with two evil cobras.

Favorite Line

"It is the hardest thing in the world to frighten a mongoose, because he is eaten up from nose to tail with curiosity."

My Thoughts

I thought it was about time I read Rikki-Tikki-Tavi. I had heard of it of course, but never read it until today. I also don't believe I had read anything by Rudyard Kippling before today. Basically I was feeling like I was missing out on something great, and it turned out I was.

First of all I believe you can never have enough stories with talking animals. I'm particulary fond of those type of stories. I loved how all the animals were characterized and had different personalities. Mongoose are some adorable little animals, and who doesn't love a creature that can kill venomous snakes. This story is a great action/adventure tale as well. I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi brought some excitement to my day. I now feel like I must find a copy of The Jungle Book to dive into. I think can get in on one of my e-readers for free. 

By the way just a little update on the book review. I've finished the rough draft it will be up by tomorrow night. See you then. Keep it shiny!

No comments: