Feb 21, 2011

Short Story of The Week (28) - You Will Hear The Locust Sing

Story Title: You Will Hear The Locust Sing
From: 20th Century Ghosts
Author: Joe Hill

Summary

Teenage outsider, Francis Kay, wakes to find that he is transforming into a insect. 

Favorite Line

"He thought if it turned out he was only imagining it, the disappointment would crack him open, would be too awful to bear."

My Thoughts

So far I have generally enjoyed Joe Hill's short stories from 20th Century Ghosts. However, this one was just not for me. This might sound strange but I have an serious aversion to anything involving people turning into insects. I thought it was just the imagery in the 1986 remake of The Fly that I had issues with, but as I discovered while reading this, I apparently have issues with any story with people turning into insects. Present me with fictional murder and mayhem and I'm fine. One part human bug and I lose it.  I'm not sure I fully understand my problem, but it is what it is. 

This story literally made me feel a little queasy. I just found it...well...gross. Not just the bug transformation, but the whole thing. Bug boy becomes quite the bane of humanity as the story goes on. Your probably wondering why I pushed myself to finish it if I was causing me such distress. The fact is that the story is well written. I really did want to know what was going to happen next. I thought it could be an interesting commentary on young adults who commit heinous acts such as school shootings, or the murder of a parent. I probably won't read it again, but I'm glad I read it in its entirety. I guess you can't love everything. 

No comments: