Jul 4, 2011

About Books Blog 43: Catching Fire

Photobucket

Author: Suzanne Collins
Genre: Young Adult/Dystopia/Science Fiction

Related Reviews In The Hunger Games Series


Favorite Line

“At some point, you have to stop running and turn around to face whoever wants you dead”

Summary (from Goodreads)

Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark won the annual competition described in Hunger Games, but the aftermath leaves these victors with no sense of triumph. Instead, they have become the poster boys for a rebellion that they never planned to lead. That new, unwanted status puts them in the bull's-eye for merciless revenge by The Capitol.

My Thoughts

Usually the second book in a trilogy ends up being just a really big lead up to the third book in the series. However, I didn’t feel like that at all while reading the second book in the Hunger Games Trilogy, Catching Fire. While this novel did lay down important plot lines for the third book, it was still as full of action and twists as the first book. Some of the plot twists literally made my jaw drop. As I predicted Catching Fire is where the series gets a little bit more into politics. However, it was done in a way that I liked, and didn’t overwhelm my not so political brain. I think this was because the book never strays from the emotions and goals of the characters.

The book returns with all the great characters I enjoyed in Hunger Games, along with some wonderful new characters to create a new experience. This was both lovely but a little bittersweet as well, considering one can not have an epic political dystopian novel without some character sacrificing themselves for the greater good. Suzanne Collins really knows how to write characters you can get attached to. She also knows how to write characters that you love to hate a.k.a President Snow. I really disliked that man (the subject of him being human being is still a subject of debate for me). I love when authors write great villains.

Catching Fire was a great ride. I felt like the story just got better and better. Of course, Catching Fire ended with a bit of a cliffhanger, so I had to read Mockingjay right away. My review for that will be coming up next. I almost put the two reviews together, but decided against it at the last minute. I just got the feeling that I wanted to say entirely different things about the last novel.

The Movie

I suppose this is just an update on what’s going on with the Hunger Games film. If you haven’t already checked out the casting choices you should. I have to say I’m pretty pleased with them so far. I can only assume that if Hunger Games is received well they will make film adaptations of the other books as well.


Music To Read By

Strangely the same albums I loved for the first book also worked for the second. Though the general events of Catching Fire were different the situations the characters found themselves in were similar. Thus, even the songs I picked for the Hunger Games playlist still worked. I listened to that playlist and continued to rock out to Muse, My Chemical Romance, and Metric. I did however add Riot by Paramore to the mix this time around. I consider the playlist below more like addtions to the original Hunger Games playlist. When I post the review for the final novel I post a player with the songs for the entire trilogy.

Catching Fire Playlist

Never Going Back to OK - The Afters
It Starts With One - Shiny Toy Guns
Crossfire - Brendan Flowers
Unnatural Selection - Muse
Bulletproof Heart - My Chemical Romance
Ready, Set, Go - Tokio Hotel
Fire With Fire - The Black Letter
Do it or Die - Die Mannequin
Half-Trusium - The Offspring
Run - Snow Patrol
24 Hours - Tom Jones
Let The Flames Begin - Paramore




That's all folks. Hope you had fun reading. Can't wait to review the last book in the series. I can't wait to put the playlist together. Keep it shiny my darlings.

No comments: