Jul 4, 2009

About Books Blog 10: Winter Of Fire

winteroffire

Author: Sherryl Jordan
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy/Dystopia

Favorite Line

"Victory does not always come with trumpet-blasts and glory."


Summary

Yet, again I am using part of the summary on the back of the book. Why do I read books that are so hard to summarize?

Elsha is one of the Quelled: a branded people, doomed always to mine coal to warm the ruling class, the Chosen. Elsha has strange visions that set her apart, and a strong spirit that condemns her to death. Her life is saved when she is called to be Handmaiden to the Firelord, the most powerful being on the planet.


What I Thought Of This Book

I got this book way back in the 5th grade at a book fair. It's the first multiple chapter fantasy book I remember reading. It is also the first novel I remember loving so much I read it over and over again. I decided that after nine or ten years of not reading Winter of Fire, that it was time to read it again, just to see if it was as good as I remembered. It was exactly as good as I remember it being. I LOVED it! It's so very different from most young adult stories, and it has a way inspiring one to be a strong person. It's an incredibly fast read as well.

I really need a new copy of this book. It has been much loved, thus, several pages started to fall out while I was reading it this time. I looked it up online, however, I could only find places where you could buy it used. That sort of defeats the purpose. If any one knows if this book is still in print and where I can get a new copy please let me know.

Facts I Found Interesting

Sherryl Jordan wrote Winter of Fire after she was diagnosed with RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury), and was told she would never write again. The story of the books lead character, Elsha, inspired her to persevere past her difficulties. In the forward of the book she states that she and Elsha "were warriors together in our battles against the impossible."

The Movie

No movie . I love it so much as a novel that I just don't know that I would like it as a film. It's one of those stories that I see a specific way in my imagination, and if someone else's vision didn't match up with mine I'd probably be upset.


Music To Read By

Favorite Albums

As I said this book is a fast read so I didn't get to listen to a ton of music. I finished reading about ninety pages while listening to a double disk set of The Best Of Led Zeppelin. I did manage to find two favorite albums for Winter of Fire, Riot by Paramore and One Cell In The Sea by A Fine Frenzy. The first album because it Paramore music seems to have the same spirit as the lead character in the novel. The second album because A Fine Frenzy and fantasy stories are a perfect match. Almost every song on One Cell In The Sea reminds me of one fantasy story or another.

Winter Of Fire Playlist

Winter - Bond
World on Fire - Sarah Mclachlan
Give - Tori Amos
Belief - Gavin Degraw
Into The Fire - Thirteen Senses
Kashmir - Led Zeppelin
Let the Flames Begin - Paramore
Exo-Politics - Muse
Hope For The Hopeless - A Fine Frenzy
Belief - John Mayor
Kashmir - Bond




Wow! This was a short one. I've realized that I've read several fantasy books in a row, so I'm going to try to read some different genres for awhile.

Next About Books Blog: Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know this comment comes quite a bit after you posted this review, but I absolutely love this book (and actually just found my copy of it the other day). Until now, I had yet to find anyone who had even heard of it, let alone read it! I got my copy at a book fair as well =) Sadly, I can't point you in the direction of any new copies; I think it must be out of print. I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves this little-known book!