Nov 22, 2010

Short Story of The Week # 17: White Swan, Black Swan

Story Title: White Swan, Black Swan
From: White Swan, Black Swan
Author: Adrienne Sharp

Summary

Ballet dance partners, Robbie and Lexi, try desperately to find balance in their lives. Between the new production of Swan Lake, the slow break-down of their marriage, and the struggle with drug addition, finding balance could prove to be a difficult task.

Favorite Line

"He needed her and he hated that need, which was to hang the heavy rucksack of his sadness around her neck."

My Thoughts

I figured since I was so behind last week that I'd just post my short story from last week this week. This was such a beautiful story. Well it was beautifully heartbreaking. It was sad to read about two people who love each other so much, but something always seems to stand between them, whether it be themselves or outside obstacles. Of course, I love all the dance elements. Even more so in this story since the characters come to many revelations through dance. As usual when I read a short story from this book the only thing I don't like about it is that it ended. I just want them to go on and on. I comfort myself by the idea that someday I will read Adrienne Sharp's full length novel First Love soon.

The more I read about Swan Lake the most I want to see the ballet live. I have of course seen videos of it. However, I've never seen it actually danced. Sometimes the Nashville Ballet does it as part of their season, but ideally I'd like to see it in New York.

Below I've included a link to some Swan Lake videos. Also, this story totally made me think of the songs Love the Way You Lie and Love The Way You Lie Pt. 2. I'm going with links instead of the the player because of the explicit lyrics. I guess you'll still hear them regardless, but I figure just in case a child visits my site at least their ears won't be totally scarred. Ha ha. See ya. Keep it shiny!

No comments: