Nov 4, 2011

Short Story of The Week (51) - Price of Desire

Story Title: Price of Desire
From: White Swan, Black Swan
Author: Adrienne Sharp

Summary 

James considers the conflicts of his life and his dancing, and wonders if he should join the New York City Ballet where his sister dances.

My Thoughts

I know this is a very belated short story this week. I had a rather sleepless night and I had my private ballet class today. Then I had to go a buy props for the upcoming Christmas show. I found the perfect stuff. Anyway, it's been a dancing type of week so I read a dancing type of story. Prince of Desire was very thought provoking. I like seeing the way that Adrienne wrote male characters since the stories I've read in this book previously have had lead characters that were women. Overall, I really enjoyed this. 

1 comment:

LoriStrongin said...

Interesting that this one features a BOY in the world of professional dancing. You so often see dance books focused on girls only, but I bet boys get it even rougher because not only are they berated with the negative physical self-image stick, but the gender identity and sexuality ones, too.

Definitely adding this one to my TBR list!


Smiles!
Lori


P.S.- if you're a fan of dance books, have you heard about Bunheads by Sophie Flack? She's a former dancer and writes about her experiences in a fictional manner, but with a lot of realism. I haven't read it yet, but have heard lots of good things about it!