Mar 27, 2010

Book List Saturday: Books I Never Finished

Hello All. Well it's Book List Saturday again. I just want to thank everyone who commented last week, and made lists of your own. I think you guys might have actually won me a few more followers by posting a link to my blog, so thanks again loves. The theme for this week is books I started yet never finished and why. Some of them I plan on taking another crack at eventually.

7 Books I Never Finished and Why

1. Fear Nothing by Dean Koontz

Why? To tell you the truth I don't know why I've never been able to finish this book. My mom suggested it to me, and I must have tried to read it 6 or 7 times. No joke. For some reason I can't get past the first few chapters. I can't figure out why. It's very annoying, because I really do want to read it. I can't understand what my problem with it is. I will finish it someday though. I will make it happen.

2. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott


Why? Some of you probably think I'm nuts, because I've never finished this classic. I can only attribute this to the fact that the last time I tried to read it I was rather young. It's a rather thick book for a 9 or 10 year old. For some reason I never got around to reading it when I got older. I guess I'll have to do that sometime. Dude! So many books, so little time. Actually, I'm not sure my reason for never finishing this is good enough. I mean I was reading Shakespeare at 11 or 12. So what's with me not finishing Little Women? Oh, by the way I didn't finish Little Men either, but that was because I found it a tiny bit boring.

3. Beloved by Toni Morrison

Why? I continue to wonder what made me think that this would be fun to read. I watched the slightly disturbing movie, so I should have known that it wouldn't be great pleasure reading. I found it so depressing. Now I know books must have sad parts, or they would be boring as heck. However, this is one of those, the characters are crying within the first three pages kind of depressing books. I knew that it was not going to get any better after that, because as I said I watched the movie. Plus, parts of it frankly grossed me out. So yeah, I stopped reading before the end of the first chapter. I guess I'm just one of those people who needs a little funny with the sad. I can see why it would have won a Pulitzer though. When you read the plot summary it seems to have great historical value. Still I'm never going to read it. The imagery just seems like it's too intense for me.

4. Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire

Why? Yet again I was depressed by it within the first few chapters. I mean didn't poor Liir's life suck enough in Wicked. Did it really need to just get worse and worse? I mean come on Gregory give the poor kid a break. Now granted I didn't finish it, so maybe Liir did have the occasional high point eventually. If you've read it please let me know if he has 1 or 2 moments of joy. That would be all I need to inspire me to try again. Well, even if he doesn't I'll give it a try anyway, just so I can be a good Wicked fan.

5. The Catcher In The Rye by J.D. Salinger

Why? Okay, my reason for not finishing this might sound ridiculous. It actually had nothing to do with the content of the book. The reason I never finished was than the copy of it that I have has incredibly small print. Your probably wondering why this made a difference, since I was enjoying the story. Well, when you learning differences that make you slightly dyslexic, believe me the print size really matters. When I get around to getting a copy with much larger print I fully intend to finish it. I loved what little of it I read on my first try.

6. The Bell Jar by Syliva Plath

Why? Have you ever started a book, and realized that you're not in the mood to read it? There nothing wrong with it in particular, the story just isn't what you want for the moment. Well that was what I felt like when I started this. I'll get around to it eventually when the mood strikes me. From what I could tell in the first few pages the main character seemed interesting.

7. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King by J.R.R Tolkien

Why? I took a stab at reading Lord of the Rings, because my friend was obsessed with the book at the time. I really wanted to give it a effort for her since she had read it like ten times. Any way, I think that by time I got to Return of the King I was just burnt out on the whole thing. Two Towers had driven me flipping insane by that point.

I mean, Aragorn spends most of Two Towers asking Legolas repeatedly what he sees with his elven eyes. I was like he's seeing the same thing he saw five minutes ago Aragorn honey, it's just thats it's closer now! Add on to it the fact that Two Towers seemed so repetitive to me. I read Merry and Pippin's journey, and then Aragorn precedes to reiterate their whole journey while tracking them. I was saying yes I know that happened. I just read it. Now you're wondering why I didn't stop reading at Two Towers. I made it through by some miracle. However, by the time I got to the last four chapters of Return of the King I couldn't take it any more. Even if it was ten times better than Two Towers. By then I just wanted to pop the movie DVD in, and watch some great fast paced action scenes.

Well thats the list for the week. I realized that I forgot to put The Usual Rules by Joyce Maynard and The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough, on the books I want to Re-read list I made last week. As if I needed more books on that list. Haha. Any way, see you next week. Don't forget to tell me some of the books you never finished and why. Hugs and kisses lovely ones.

No comments: